New Year’s comes and many people start to make resolutions. These resolutions can come in many forms; financial, or health related. Often people have trouble sticking to these resolutions once March and April hit.
Here are some quick tips to keep you on track, and motivated all year long.
- Flex your control muscles! The more you do something, the more it becomes a habit! If you repeatedly do something else instead of what you are trying to quit, soon, your unhealthy behavior will be replaced with a better one!
- Take it one step at a time. Often, people bite off more than they can chew with resolutions. Picking up too many habit changes can cause you to easily fall off the wagon and lose sight of your end goals.
- Break up your goals into parts. If you separate a goal like losing weight, into different parts, it will be easier for you to accomplish. If you promise to eat healthy twice a week, maybe take the stairs instead of elevator, this will help you to adjust your lifestyle, and in turn, shed some pounds.
- Laugh. Watch some funny movies and get your blood flowing! This will help you to not feel so overwhelmed by your goals.
- Orange Juice. Controlling yourself can greatly reduce levels of glucose in your blood. You will need a quick jolt of this to help you stay focused. Try some orange juice, as artificially sweetened drinks won’t do the trick.
- Focus on your accomplishments. It’s easy to be down on yourself when you slack on your goals. However, don’t wallow. Make a list of things that you have accomplished, down to the smaller things like doing something you don’t want to. This list will help pull you out of that funk.
Lastly, know when you are reaching the end of your rope. Stress, hunger and exhaustion will wear you down, and make it harder for you to complete your goals. Recognize when it is time for you to rest, and get away from whatever is tempting you. Removing yourself from that situation for a little bit will help to give your willpower a fighting chance.